Thursday, February 25, 2010

Twice Baked Potatoes

As you can see, Im rapidly approaching my cruise in April! However, I have some goals to meet before then, and Im going to share them with you so you can help me along the way!  My goal is to lose 10lbs from today till April 25 or before.  This is NOT an unrealistic goal, but it is going to take some discipline.  My friend Becky and I are hooked on Loseit.com its an app for the iphone, and its pretty awesome.  I have already lost 17lbs since June just cutting back on my portions, counting calories on Loseit, and working out!  All of which I still have major room for improvement! 

One of my very first meals I fixed for Nathan even before we were married is Twice Baked Potatoes.  My first recipe of this was NOT like the one Im about to share with you.  In fact, its probably one of the contributing factors of my having to loose weight in the first place!  It was loaded with butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon.  You know, all the stuff that tastes really good!  :)  So anywho, I decided today that I would try and make a less fat version.  So...here it is:

2 potatoes
olive oil
milk
seasoning salt (or salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion flakes)
chopped up mushrooms
cheese
butter
bacon bits

First of all wash your potatoes, then stab them all over with a fork and rub them lightly with olive oil.  Put them on a plate and microwave for about 10 min. flipping halfway through.

While they are cooking in the microwave preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Combine milk, 2 tablespoons butter, seasoning salt, chopped mushrooms, bacon, and cheese in a medium mixing bowl.  Notice I didnt put many measurments out, thats because I dont really measure.  I can usually eyeball things pretty well, but I would start out with a couple tablespoons of milk, you will probably have to add more milk once you add the potatoes.  and the seasoning salt is proably about a tablespoon.  I used about 3 medium mushrooms chopped up, 2 or 3 tablespoons of bacon, and about a small handful of cheese. 

After your potatoes are finished nuking, cut them in half and put on a baking sheet to cool.  Trust me, you want the to cool.... its gives the game "hot potato" a whole new meaning!  Once you can touch the potatoe without wanting to scream and stick your hand in the freezer, take a small spoon and hollow out the potatoe.  You can make the skins as thick or as thin as you like.  I like thin skins because when they bake they get crispy and I eat them along with the other part!  When you hollow out the potatoe, put the insides in the bowl with the other stuff and smash them all up!  this is the part you may want to add a little more milk (I used 2% btw)  You want the potatoes smooth, but still chunky.  Once its to your desired consitancy, spoon the mixture back into the potato skins and then sprinkle with just a pinch of cheese. 

Put in the oven and bake until heated through and it starts to brown on top! Hope you enjoy, and let me know how they turn out if you try them!

Oh, here is an updated pic of CoCo.  She is growing fast and is such a good girl!  She is the definition of a lap dog!  She loves to cuddle and get her belly rubbed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment