Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Patio Project

This past Saturday Nathan and I started on our patio project!  Friday night we had our band over for a cookout, and I had the patio area set up and it made me even more excited to get this project started!

We started Saturday morning about 9 and it was already scorching outside!  I dont know how hot it was, but I do know that by about 11:30 I couldnt hardly stand up anymore because I was so weak from the heat!  Nathan started tilling up the ground where the patio is going to be laid and I start shoveling.  I can tell you right now, I am not cut out for that line of work!  Its okay for projects like this, but I have the utmost respect for people who work outside like that everday.  Hats off to you!  We probably hauled off about 15 or 20 wheelbarrel loads full of grass and dirt that we tilled up!  We had to quit because it was too hot, but last night we tilled up again and got the area as level as we could with what we had!  I used a rake and a shovel to even everything out after Nate had tilled.  One area was a lot higher than another side so we had to go over that part a couple times.  After we got the level out and put it a couple places we got the tamper and packed the dirt in as much as we could where I moved the dirt.  Then I sprayed it with water in hopes that it would help pack and settle everything else down again where we had tilled.

Our next step is to steak everything off so we can get things squared up and get our boards cut for the edging.  We are probably going to use treated wood as the edging as it will be cheaper, but our measurments will have to be spot on for everything to fit right because we have to get everything cut at Lowes when we buy it since we dont have the saws and all that mess.  After that we will dig out where the edging will go in the ground, make sure its squared up, then it will be time for the sand.  We will put in the sand, make it level, tamp it down and then begin with laying the pavers!  Put them down, and then sweep sand over the pavers to fill in the cracks.

I hope all this works out as we hope.  I have never done anything like this, so mostly I've asked EVERYONE I know who knows ANYTHING about doing this type of thing, and the most consitant advice I've gotten is "just make sure its level and square"  and "make sure when you measure from corner to corner you have the same measurments."  We havent got to this part yet, and thats the part that makes me most antsy, but Im sure whatever happens it will all work out and we will have a beautiful patio to enjoy for the rest of the summer and fall months.

Im enjoying summer, but I will be honest, I cant wait till those cooler evenings when we can load up our firepit and enjoy the fall air!

No comments:

Post a Comment